Roles and Responsibilities II-Technician
- Describe the role of the sterile processing department (SPD) or area within an organizational structure.
- Describe the various functions of the sterile processing area.
- Understand the professional standards, guidelines, requirements, standards of practice, and ethics that guide sterile processing practices.
- Identify the health and safety regulations, standards, and guidelines that apply to the processing of medical devices and instrumentation.
- Identify the federal and state regulatory agencies that have jurisdiction over processing in healthcare facilities.
- Identify and describe methods of quality assurance.
- Define the purpose of a procedure manual and the difference between policies and procedures.
- Outline the training procedures that should be followed to ensure familiarity with and competent performance of sterile processing procedures.
- Understand the various symbols used in health care and in the manufacture of sterile products.