ABOUT THIS COURSE
This course is designed for employees performing sterile processing activities in an Ambulatory Surgery, Ambulatory Care, dental office or doctor’s office. These activities include cleaning, decontamination, packaging and high-level disinfection and/or sterilization services. It is recommended that after completion of this education, unless you are already working in one of these practice areas, performing sterile processing duties, we encourage you to obtain hands-on experience in a Sterile Processing Area or Ambulatory Surgery facility, so you can apply your knowledge to the practice. This should be arranged with a local facility where you can volunteer your time.
Provides education in the core competencies areas.
Provides knowledge with the most current standards and practices.
Facilitates your responding to questions from surveyors when inspections are held.
Can lead to fewer errors in processing and unnecessary rework.
Can facilitate becoming certified as a Sterile Processing Ambulatory Surgery Technician.
The modules for this course are based on the most current edition (7th edition) of The Basics of Sterile Processing textbook which was developed by Nancy Chobin (RN, CSPM, CFER) a Registered Nurse and is the President of Sterile Processing University, LLC. She has 40 years' experience in the sterile processing profession with the majority being in education and training.
Total cost of course: $600
Pay-as-you-go: Purchase a module for $20.00 each
The modules are to be taken in a specific order, as each module builds on the information learned from the previous one. There are 29 modules, then the final exam. Each module consists of study material and a quiz. Results are displayed after finishing each module quiz. The study materials are printable, so that you can save and refer to them at a later date if you need to.
- 1: Roles and Responsibilities I
- 2: Roles and Responsibilities II
- 3: Anatomy and Physiology I
- 4: Anatomy and Physiology II
- 5: Microbiology
- 6: Infection Prevention
- 7: Decontamination I
- 8: Decontamination II
- 9: Decontamination III
- 10: Decontamination IV
- 11: Decontamination V
- 12: Decontamination VI
- 13: Disinfection Processes I
- 14: Disinfection Processes I
- 15: Preparation and Packaging of Instruments and Devices I
- 16: Preparation and Packaging of Instruments and Devices II
- 17: Preparation and Packaging of Instruments and Devices III
- 18: Surgical Instruments and Specialty Devices I
- 19: Surgical Instruments and Specialty Devices II
- 20: Surgical Instruments and Specialty Devices III
- 21: Surgical Instruments and Specialty Devices IV
- 22: Sterilization I
- 23: Sterilization II
- 24: Sterilization III
- 25: Sterilization IV
- 26: Sterilization V
- 27: Sterilization VI
- 28: Sterile Storage and Distribution
- 29: APPENDIX A: MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY
- Final Exam
We'd like your feedback. Did the new setup of the modules and quizzes suit your needs?
IMPORTANT NOTE: ALL of these modules are copyrighted. No one is permitted to copy or use any of the module information for personal use outside of this course at any time in any format (electronic, copy, etc).